Sunday, July 1, 2012

New Upgrades for the Summer




We installed a vintage Neve 8038 a few weeks ago. It took only 7 days to fully wire and install the board. It was pretty insane, the console is 10.5ft wide and the frame is one piece. It took about 8 people, a giant forklift and a few hydralic jacks to get the console up 18ft in the air to the control room floor and over the railing. We also added a ton of outboard gear, mics and vintage amps. Go see our updated Gear List for more information. 

seahorsesoundstudios.com/gear.html

Here are some pictures:


I had been swamped with mixing work and had just finished an album on this same Neve in Malibu a week prior.
 I laughed hysterically as soon as I finished the wiring and tested everything. It all worked.... despite me being out of my mind exhausted during the install. The very next day after the install and wiring was finished, the studio got booked for 3 weeks. Close call, but everything went beyond smooth.

So far the board is loving the new control room and the monitoring has improved quite a bit. Also, oddly enough the control room now feels bigger and more spacious with the new desk. 

I am going to miss my old console, even though I not going to sell it. I plan on using for a "studio B" at a later time. Luckily the week prior I had 2 great bands from Italy come to mix and even had a great LA rock band come track a full analog session on the 1" 16 track. I took my computer out of the studio for an entire week and it was great.



Pata and Samuel listening while I prep the tape machine for printing.


Pata and Samuel from Italy


Tape Machine is working hard this week. 

Found a great vocal mic combo, I have been using a lot lately. Sounded great for this session. Later I ran the vocals thru the AKG bx20 spring reverb and emt plate for a huge vocal sound.

Here is an old Electro-Voice 635a and a Mojave Ma-301, straight from the board into the ATR in the background.


Check out Mojave's site for more info on the Ma-300. It is a killer mic!






No comments:

Post a Comment